I just can’t seem to get it to die! Probably something to do with all those users out there spoiling my day and continuing to use it in Windows 7 – sadly in our corporate environment.

I’ve spent a few days with a problem showing “Syntax Error” in IE11 when my project runs just great in Edge, FireFox and Chrome.

After a lot of digging around in the components I’ve used I narrowed it down to one specific 3rd party component from npmjs. So I took a trawl through into the Github of the project and opened an issue. Turns out I’m not the only one seeing the problem. I guess everyone else is using more sensible browsers.

I got a great reply that pointed me to modifying my webpack config so it transpiled into IE11 compatible code. I’d already used polyfills like es6-promise and es6-object-assign and then babel-polyfill, but this obviously wasn’t enough.

The pointer was aimed at webpack. Now Laravel uses it’s own layer above webpack – Laravel-Mix, but with a bit more Googling I figured out how to add the necessary webpack config into mix to get it transpiling correctly.

Add the targets-webpack-plugin using yarn (or npm) as a “devDependency”

$ yarn add targets-webpack-plugin -D

In my webpack.mix.js file:

const TargetsPlugin = require('targets-webpack-plugin')

...

mix.webpackConfig({
  plugins: [
    new TargetsPlugin({
      browsers: ['last 2 versions', 'chrome >= 41', 'IE 11'],
    }),
  ]
})

Repackage my app with yarn run dev and IE11 is silent!

The internet is full of wonderfully helpful people. To those that post responses, write blogs or any kind of feed – I thank you all.

 

Advertisements